The pregnancy period is a sacred period of women. This is also the time when they have to keep in their mind a lot of things to avoid any influence on their baby. Nevertheless, the fact is that all women have the desire to beautify their appearance. Dying hair is one of the problems that they concern. The Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS) claims that dying hair during pregnancy is safe because of the following reasons:
- Very little or no hair dye will be absorbed into the scalp in case there is no direct contact.
- A large number of tests on pregnant animals have been carried out. The results show that hair dye does not affect fetal development.
- There is no evidence so far which claims that hair dye can damage pregnant women and fetuses.
Despite the fact that dying hair during pregnancy is safe, it is necessary for pregnant women to pay attention to the following points:
- Only after the first 3 months of pregnancy should pregnant women have their hair dyed since the first 3 months is the time when the fetuses are still weak and vulnerable.
It is better to absolutely ensure the safety and development of the fetuses even though dying hair is stated to not damage the fetuses.
- Pregnant women need to prevent the contact of the hair dye with their scalp. Instead of dying the whole head, they should opt for a highlight hairstyle or an ombre hairstyle.
These hairstyles are not only trendy but also safe.
- Understanding the composition of the hair dye before dying is an extremely important task. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), ammonia and peroxide are the two components in hair dyes with strong chemicals. It is remarkable that these two components can cause damage to the development of fetuses. Therefore, pregnant women are recommended to avoid using hair dyes that contain ammonia and peroxide.
The other components of hair dyes are said to be quite safe for pregnant women.
- They should test a small piece of hair first for safety because the hormones in your body will change during their pregnancy.
- Follow the proper hair dye instructions.
- Do not dye the hair in an enclosed area. They will get more chances to inhale the smell of the dye, which is not good for their health as well as the fetuses.
- Do not eat or drink anything during the process of dying hair to make sure that there is no hair dye sticking to the food or drink.
- If they still do not believe in chemical hair dyes, hair dyes from natural ingredients are the greatest choices for them. These natural ingredients include green tea powder, henna, coffee, lemons, potatoes, chrysanthemum tea, carrots, and beetroot, to name but a few.
Especially, pregnant women should ask the doctor for advice before doing anything during pregnancy to protect the baby.