The Fishtail Braid hairstyles looks elaborate and elegant and will become a great option for a rushed morning. Especially for the long-haired girls, this hairstyle can immediately bring you the femininity and make you look more graceful than ever! Not only it turns out beautiful and is favorite for an average day, but this hairdo also is a lovely choice for such special and formal occasions as prom or birthday party, etc. One more thing that many women prefer about this ‘do is that the messier it gets, the better it tends to look, which makes it an ideal style to go with for a long day.
Fishtail braids look way more complicated and sophisticated than they actually are. So if you are a person who is too busy or too lazy to be able to spend hours making sleeky hairstyles but you still want to appear with a glamour yet elegant look, then styling the fishtail braids is a great idea to go. This post will show you the easiest tutorials of how to do a fishtail braid your hair for a spectacular look, and there is not one but two types of fishtail braids to give you some idea on variations!
Method 1: Doing a basic Fishtail Braid
- Not just for doing the fishtail braid hairdo, the first step before making any hairstyle is that you need to smooth out the hair to get rid of all tangles as well as make it easier to braid hair. Remember to use a wide-toothed comb to gradually brush your hair from the tips to the roots to avoid damaging and getting hair to breakage.
- Now it’s time to start styling your hair. Firstly, wrap your hair back into a ponytail, either low or high ponytail is fine, it’s all the matter of preference. If you are a beginner for making this style, you should start by securing your hair with a hair bungee or a disposable clear elastic. For a more stylish look, take a small strand of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the hairband to hide it, secure the hair strand with a clip.
- Separate the ponytail into two smaller and equal-sized sections.
- From the underside of the right section, take a third, smaller piece
- Pull this piece across the right section toward the middle, then connect it to the left section, and pull tight. Remember don’t twist the hair strand as you bring it across.
- Now come to the opposite side, repeat steps four and five.
- Continue to braid your hair by repeating steps 4-6 until you reach the ends of the ponytail. Looking a bit messy? Don’t worry because this is part of the charm of this braided hairstyles.
- After finishing up your fishtail. Secure the end with another elastic.
Method 2: Doing a side fishtail braid
- Smooth out your hair to remove all the tangles
- Part your hair to one side and gather it into a ponytail
- Split the ponytail into two equal parts. You can secure the ponytail with an elastic first if you need more control, however, this hairstyle will be more charming if the braid is slightly disheveled so going hair-tie free is recommended.
- Start making a fishtail braid following the steps in method 1. Take a piece from the left side and pass it over to the right side. Then grab a new piece from the outside of the right side and cross it over to the left side. Repeat the process until you run out of hair.
- Hold the tail of your fishtail braid with one hand. On the other hand, use a fine-toothed comb to brush up the braid. Start at the bottom, ratting the tail, and then lightly brush up the length of the braid in a few short strokes.
- Secure your braid with an elastic.
- Lightly pull on each side of the braid to fatten it up. Pull out a few pieces at the top to create the ultimate falling-out fishtail.
A few more tips
Placement is key
You’re doing a Fishtail braid, not a French braid, so it shouldn’t start at the crown of your head. The classic look is to place the braid near the nape of the neck, in the center of the head, or doing it off to the side if you want a classier and more modern look.
Squeaky clean isn’t ideal
Clean hair will often slide out the braid, especially when you’re doing some loose styles. Dirty hair provides a better grip for braiding and it is easier to manipulate. So the recommendation here is that this look will work best with second-day (or third-day) dirty hair.
Fake it with extensions
This hairdo works best on the long hair as a long fishtail braid will bring you a much more feminine and graceful look than a short braid. Using hair extensions to enhance your hair length before making a fishtail braid would be a great idea to achieve the best result.
MACSARA is proud to be the leading company in the field of producing and exporting human hair extensions to big markets such as America, Russia, etc. Our products, which are made of 100% Vietnamese Remy hair of Vietnamese women, will offer you the best versatile and the maximum longevity of hair, you are free to restyle or re-dye your hair extensions in any way you want.
On the other hand, MACSARA is carrying out a gratitude promotion program as well as welcoming the coming autumn for the weave hair extension products line. Consult our 6 inch of hair and visit our product list for more preferences!