In recent years, wigs have become a popular fashion accessory, not only for individuals experiencing hair loss but also for those who desire a quick change of hairstyle. Wigs offer versatility and allow you to experiment with different looks without making any permanent changes to your natural hair. However, if you’re new to wearing wigs, the process might seem daunting at first. That’s why Macsara Hair is here to guide you with a step-by-step tutorial on how to wear a wig. So, let’s dive in and unlock the secrets of effortless wig-wearing!
Things to prepare before wearing a wig
Before you start to install your own wig, make sure you gather all the needed tools:
- A wig of your choice
- Wig cap
- Wig adhesive (if you use lace wigs)
- Hairbrush or wig comb
- A mirror
- Wig styling products
- Hairpins or bobby pins
- Hair accessories of your choice
How to wear a wig correctly?
Once you’ve got everything ready, let’s bring your wig-wearing experience to life! Follow our detailed instructions below to ensure a smooth and successful process.
Step 1: Prep Your Natural Hair
Before wearing a wig hair extensions, it’s essential to prepare your natural hair properly. Start by washing and conditioning your hair to ensure cleanliness and a healthy scalp. For those with longer hair, tie your hair into a low ponytail or braid it close to your head to create a flat base. This step helps to ensure that your natural hair remains secure and flat under the wig. The flatter the base, the more natural your wig will look on you.
Step 2: Put on a Wig Cap
To create an even smoother surface for the wig and protect your natural hair, it’s better to wear a wig cap. Wig caps are typically made of nylon or mesh and come in various shades to match your skin tone. Simply stretch the wig cap over your head, making sure all your hair is tucked underneath. This step also helps to prevent the wig from slipping and provides a barrier between your scalp and the wig.
You can make use of some hairpins to keep your hair and wig cap stay in place.
Step 3: Adjust the Wig
Now it’s time to put on the wig! Gently hold the wig with both hands and position it at the front of your head, just above your hairline. Slowly slide the wig backward, ensuring that the front of the wig aligns with your natural hairline. Once the wig is in place, adjust the straps or hooks inside the wig to secure it firmly but comfortably. Tuck any loose hair strands under the wig cap for a seamless look.
Step 4: Style the Wig
Now that your wig is securely in place, it’s time to style it to achieve your desired look. Human hair wigs can be styled using heat tools, just like natural hair. However, be cautious with the heat settings to avoid damaging the hair strands. Synthetic wigs, on the other hand, are pre-styled and should not be exposed to direct heat. Use a wide-toothed comb or wig brush to gently detangle the wig, starting from the ends and working your way up.
Step 5: Blend the Wig with Your Natural Hair
To ensure a natural and seamless look with your wig, it’s crucial to blend the wig with your natural hair. Use a wide-toothed comb or your fingertips to gently blend the front of the wig with your own hairline. If necessary, apply some concealer or foundation along the hairline to match your skin tone. This step helps to create a flawless transition between the wig and your natural hair, making it virtually undetectable.
And now, you can add your personal touch to the wig and make it look more natural. You can accessorize your wig with headbands, scarves, or hair clips to enhance your style and make it uniquely yours. So don’t hesitate to try as more styles mean more fun!
Tips for a perfect look with your wig
Wearing a wig gives you a chance to instantly transform your look, and to get the best out of it, you should keep the following tips in mind:
- Choose the Right Wig Style: Select a wig style that complements your face shape and enhances your features. Consider factors such as length, texture, and volume to find the perfect match for your desired look.
- Find the Right Color: Opt for a wig color that harmonizes with your skin tone, eye color, and personal style. Whether you prefer a natural shade or want to experiment with a bold hue, choosing the right color can significantly enhance your overall appearance.
- Proper Wig Sizing: Ensure that your wig fits properly to achieve a seamless and comfortable look. So, make sure to measure your head circumference accurately and choose a wig size that matches your measurements. Adjustable straps or wig caps can also help customize the fit further.
- Invest in Quality: High-quality wigs not only provide a more natural appearance but also offer better durability and comfort. Consider investing in a wig made from human hair or high-grade synthetic fibers for a long-lasting and realistic look.
Human hair wigs of Macsara Hair
- Adjust Your Hairline: To create a more natural-looking hairline, consider customizing the wig by plucking a few strands or using makeup to create a softer and more blended hairline. This technique helps to mimic the appearance of natural hair growth.
- Secure with Wig Adhesives: Depending on your preferences and the wig type, you may want to use wig adhesives such as wig glue, tape, or adhesive sprays (for lace wigs) to secure your wig in place. These products provide additional security and ensure that the wig stays in position, especially during active moments.
- Take Care of Your Natural Hair: While wearing a wig, it’s essential to continue taking care of your natural hair. Moisturize regularly, protect it from heat damage, and avoid styles that can strain your hairline. A healthy scalp and well-maintained natural hair will contribute to a flawless wig-wearing experience.
- Style with Heat Tools (if applicable): If you have a human hair wig, you can use heat tools like curling irons or straighteners to style the wig as desired. Remember to use heat protectant products and avoid excessive heat to prevent damage to the wig fibers.
- Blend the Edges: To ensure a seamless transition between your natural hair and the wig, use a small amount of foundation or concealer along the edges of the wig to match your skin tone. This step helps to create a natural-looking hairline and eliminates any visible demarcation.
- Practice and Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different hairstyles and looks. Practice styling your wig in various ways to find the styles that suit you best. Play with accessories like headbands, scarves, or hats to add a personal touch and elevate your wig game.
- Maintain and Store Properly: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for washing, conditioning, and storing your wig. Proper maintenance ensures that the wig remains in good condition and retains its shape and style.
- Confidence is Key: Lastly, own your look and wear your wig with confidence. If this is your first time wearing a wig, you may feel a bit worried if it looks natural. However, the more confident you feel, the more stunning you’ll look with your wig. So, just embrace your look with it and enjoy your time!
Some FAQs on how to wear a wig?
1. How long can I wear a wig?
The duration of wig wear depends on factors such as the wig type, adhesive used, and personal comfort. Some people wear wigs all day, while others prefer to remove them before sleeping. It’s essential to listen to your scalp and give it breaks to breathe and prevent discomfort. But generally, it’s better not to wear your wig for more than 6 weeks at a time.
2. How do I prevent my wig from itching?
To prevent your wig from itching, ensure that your scalp is clean before wearing the wig. Consider using a wig cap or wig liner made from breathable materials to create a barrier between the wig and your scalp. Besides, avoid wearing the wig for extended periods and give your scalp breaks to breathe. If itching persists, you can try using a wig-friendly scalp soothing product or consult a dermatologist for further advice.
3. Can I swim or shower with a wig?
It is generally not recommended to swim or shower with a wig, especially if it is not specifically designed for water activities. Chlorine, saltwater, and excessive moisture can damage the wig’s fibers and style. If you need to wear a wig while swimming or showering, look for wigs made specifically for these purposes or consider wearing a swim cap to protect the wig.
4. Can I trim the wig myself?
While it is possible to cut or style a wig yourself, we always suggest you seek professional help, especially if you are not experienced in wig customization. Professional wig stylists have the expertise to trim, shape, and style the wig to your desired look while maintaining its integrity. However, if you decide to style the wig yourself, take caution and work gradually, making small changes at a time to avoid irreversible mistakes.
5. How often should I wash my wig?
The frequency of washing your wig depends on factors such as how often you wear it and the outside environment. As a rule of thumb, it’s better to wash your wig every 8-10 wears or when it becomes dirty or starts to lose its style. However, if you sweat heavily or are exposed to smoke or strong odors, you may need to wash it more frequently.
Wearing a wig doesn’t have to be intimidating or complicated. With our step-by-step guide on how to wear a wig, you can now confidently wear your wig with ease. Remember to choose the right wig for your needs, prepare your natural hair properly, and follow the steps to secure and style your wig effectively. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different looks and enjoy the versatility that wigs offer.
And if you are on the search for a quality human hair wig for yourself, or for your business, Mascara Hair is your answer. With a wide range of lengths, colors and textures to choose from, our lace wigs can meet all your hair needs. So, WhatsApp us now: +84 37 9989 559 and start your wig journey!