Weaves have long been a popular hair extensions method among black women since they help protect their natural hair from environmental impact while giving them added length and volume for diverse hairstyles. If you are a newbie to weaves, let’s read our post below on how to weave hair for beginners, then you can easily create your own.
What is a weave?
Before we start to learn about how to weave hair step by step, let’s first understand what it is.
A weave, or weave hair extensions, refers to a method of hair extensions. It involves sewing or gluing tracks of hair extensions to the existing woven hair to create a fuller, longer look.
This method is suitable for those who want a big change in their hairstyle while having a semi-permanent look.
When it comes to weave hair, there are two options of hair available: synthetic hair and human hair. We recommend you use high-quality human hair extensions like Remy hair and Virgin hair for the best result.
How to weave hair for beginners?
There are several methods you can use to make a weave like sew-in, glue-in or net sew-in. Below are our detailed guide on each method:
As its name states, this method involves sewing tracks of weft to the braided base of natural hair. Here is how to create a sew-in weave:
Step 1: Gather all the needed materials
You will need high-quality weft hair extensions, weaving curved needles and strong thread, hair clips, and scissors.
Step 2: Prep your natural hair:
Since you will be wearing your weave for 6 to 8 weeks, it’s important to prepare your hair well. Prepping your hair will help to create an optimal condition for the weave. This includes washing your hair with sulfate-free shampoo and conditioning it with a moisturizing conditioner. Then, dry your hair completely before you move to the next step.
Step 3: Braid or cornrow your hair:
Detangle your hair thoroughly and divide it into smaller sections. Use sectioning clips to keep the hair organized. Then, create small, neat braids or cornrows close to the scalp. These braids or cornrows will serve as the foundation for your sew-in weave. So, make sure the braids are even and flat to achieve a seamless look.
Step 4: Attach the weft tracks
First, measure the weft tracks against your braided natural hair. Cut the tracks to fit the length and shape of each braid. Then, thread the curved needle with a sufficient length of weaving thread and knot the end securely. And now it’s time to sew in the tracks.
Starting at the nape of the neck, sew the weave track onto the braids by stitching through the weft of the track and around the braids. You should ensure each stitch is tight and secure. Work your way up towards the crown and add more weft tracks as needed. Keep the stitches close together to create a seamless and natural look.
Step 5: Blend and style
Once all the tracks are sewn in, you can use a flat iron or curling iron to blend the weave with your natural hair. Don’t forget to apply some heat protectant spray before you use the heat tools. After that, trim any excess weave tracks or stray threads to achieve a neat and tidy appearance.
At this time, you can use heat tools or perms to style your hair with waves or curls. And finally, enjoy your new look with your sew-in weave now 🙂
Net sew-in weave
This method is quite similar to the traditional sew-in. The difference is that you will need to place the weaving net over your braided hair and sew it to the braids before sewing the tracks onto the net. You should choose a net that closely matches your hair color for a seamless look.
This method puts less tension on your scalp and the hair does not swell as much after washing. However, with net sew-ins, it’s harder to take care of your natural hair and scalp since the net goes in between. So, we suggest you use this method if your hair is not too thick. If you have thick hair, it’s better to opt for traditional sew-ins.
Glue-in weave is a weave created by using hair glue to attach the wefts to your natural hair. This method can be seen as a “quick weave” since it takes less time to do. To make a glue-in weave, start by prepping your hair just like you do with sew-in weave. and below is how to attach hair with the glue-in method:
- Use a tail comb to create a horizontal part where you want to attach the first weave track.
- Apply a thin line of hair glue along the part you created. Be cautious not to use too much glue since it can be difficult to remove later.
- Press the weave track onto the glued section, starting from one end and working your way to the other. Make sure it’s securely attached.
- Continue parting small sections of your natural hair, applying glue and attaching weave tracks until the entire head is covered.
Though this method is not hard to do, your hair will be more prone to damage due to the use of hair glue.
How to make weave look natural?
Like other types of hair extensions, weave hair do not look natural itself if you skip the following things:
- Invest in high-quality human hair: The better the quality of the bundles, the more natural your look.
- Match your hair color: Select hair extensions that closely match your natural hair color.
- Install properly: Whether you’re doing a sew-in, glue-in, or another installation method, you should make sure that the weave is installed securely and evenly. A well-installed weave forms the foundation for a natural look.
- Style naturally: Blend the weave with your natural hair by using styling tools like flat irons or curling irons. Make sure the texture and length of the weave seamlessly integrate with your own hair.
- Visit a hair salon: If you’re unsure about installing the weave yourself, consider seeking the help of a professional stylist. They have experience in creating a natural look and can ensure a seamless blend with your natural hair.
- Create layers or trim the hair to suit your face shape
- Create natural parting that matches your hairline
- Use edge control or styling gel on your natural hair to smooth down any flyaways and create a polished look.
- Avoid excessive length: Opt for a length that is close to your natural hair can make the weave appear more realistic and easier to manage.
- Take good care of your weave: Regular washing, conditioning and styling will contribute to a polished and natural appearance.
- Consider protective styling techniques, such as braiding or twisting, to blend your natural hair with the weave and protect it from damage.
- Consider a top piece like lace closure or frontal: Using these hairpieces can create a more natural-looking hairline for your weave.
And above is our guide on how to weave hair for beginners. Don’t forget that a natural weave starts with high-quality human hair wefts. So, if you are looking for premium hair extensions, Macsarahair, the leading Vietnam hair factory should be on your list. With a wide range of top quality Vietnamese hair extensions, Macsarahair is your place for sourcing hair to create sew-ins. Whether you are a hair user or a salon owner, our hair extensions can cover all your hair needs.
Apart from the traditional machine wefts for sew-ins, we also supply advanced genius wefts for a more discreet look and ultimate comfort. Reach us via WhatsApp +84379989559 or leave us a contact form to grab the best deals on hair extensions and rock the coming festive season!